We want to wish you all a happy New Year from Plumbing Utah. Now that we are getting back into the swing of things from the holiday season we wanted to give you a few ideas to help your indoor plumbing recuperate from any extra strain. Typical issues that arise when you host a number of guests include clogged drains, and clogged toilets. Below is a list of things you can do as part of a plumbing New Year’s resolution to take care of your pipes and drains.
- Perform a visual inspection of your plumbing.
- This is especially important to do in areas that are not frequently visited. A guest bathroom that is not usually used is a good area to start. We recommend that you take 5 minutes and check your kitchen, bathroom, and garbage disposal for any leaks, cracks, or stains that were not there before. It is a good idea to visit your basement and lowest plumbing points because if a leak were to occur these are the areas where water will accumulate first.
- This is a piece of hardware that in particular has to put in extra effort over the holidays. For the sake of safety, we recommend that you unplug your garbage disposal before you inspect it. Grab a flashlight and look for objects that should not belong inside a garbage disposal. If you can spot some, reach for your trusty kitchen tongs and grab them out. Never, use your bare hands, as it is always potentially dangerous to put your hands inside a machine with blades and gears that are designed to grind and shred leftover food and garbage. Turn on your garbage disposal and listen for any weird and unusual noises. Once everything seems clear, pour ice cubes inside and run water while turning on your garbage disposal. Repeat this multiple times until your garbage disposal is entirely clean and free of debris. If the problem persists or your garbage disposal will not run at all, it is time to call a garbage disposal repair plumber.
- As a general rule of thumb it is a good idea to have your drains professionally cleaned once a year. This will help you by restoring your pipes to their previous pristine condition. This will also save money in case of emergency clogs or pipe leaks. Right now is a perfect time to get your drains cleaned. Most people are not thinking of their pipes right now so you can usually get same day drain cleaning service this time of year.
- Maintaining your plumbing fixtures for your home or business is a fantastic resolution that you can commit to. By cleaning your faucets, shower heads, and drain openings you are helping to prevent leaks and mineral build up. You can soak them in vinegar and baking soda, this will create an acidic solution that will break up the hard water inside them. If possible clear your outdoor drains from leaves, snow, debris. This will help water properly drain and move away from the foundation of your home or business.
These are just a few routine resolutions you can take part in to make sure your plumbing will last as long as it can. If you run into any issues contact a professional here at Plumbing Utah. It’s a new year, let’s turn the corner and let our team of veteran plumbers take care of all your plumbing needs at an affordable price.